[R-sig-Geo] split polygons by percentage

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Feb 5 11:35:52 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Brad Nesom <kidsmake6 at msn.com> wrote:
> is there a method to split polygons into equal parts? using a divisor n or
> percentage?

 Do you mean a mathematical method or some code in R?

 There's clearly no unique solution to any case, and I can see cases
where a solution would be hard to make while retaining simple
polygons.

 Convex polygons aren't so bad, and I can see various ways of chopping
them up into equal parts. You could either slice them with parallel
slices, like bread, or cut them from the centre, like pies. I'm
feeling hungry now...

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings