[R-sig-Geo] "Geographical CRS given to non-conformant data" for CRS of epsg:4326

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 23:55:18 CET 2011

Hi!

I've uploaded the file here:
https://sites.google.com/site/filestemp2/home/world_adm0.zip

It was a popular file, but actually cannot find it in the diva server any more
According to qgis, there are no coordinates beyond +/- 90 or +/-180

Extents:
In layer spatial reference system units : xMin,yMin -180,-90 :
xMax,yMax 180,83.623
but readOGR() probably makes a more rigorous check.

Could it be possible that readOGR()  read the file with a warning
and print the offending coordinates?

readOGR() works fine with this alternative file:
http://www.gadm.org/data/gadm_v1_lev0_shp.zip

but it's huge and cannot actually work with it and have not found a
third alternative.

Thanks,

Agus

2011/12/16 Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no>:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Robert J. Hijmans wrote:
>
>> Agus,
>>
>> This is likely because there are some longitude coordinates that are  <
>> -180 or > 180.
>> OGR does not complain, but, as these are lon/lat data, sp runs
>> sp:::.ll_sanity  and throws an error.
>>
>> I think it would be preferable if sp gave a warning rather than an error,
>> at least when longitudes are within a reasonable number (-360 -- 360 ?). I
>> think that a longitude of, e.g. 181 is perfectly interpretable, and
>> sometimes useful. For example to plot Russia, or Fiji in one piece in
>> lon/lat coordinates.
>

> As Agus knows, unless the file is made available, help will likely not be
> forthcoming. Without a traceback(), we don't know where the error is being
> thrown. The fact that an out of domain number is interpretable in one
> context doesn't necessarily make it acceptable in others, I believe. We
> could go to an option setting, which would slacken the error to a warning if
> set. Opinions?
>
> Roger
>

>> Robert
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 4:24 AM, Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>> I' trying to read this shapefile that is just in lon,lat WGS84

>>> Source:
>>> "/media/Iomega_HDD/JACOB/ExIE2011DATA/ExFireBorneoDATA/world_adm0",
>>> layer: "world_adm0v2"
>>> Driver: ESRI Shapefile number of rows 209
>>> Feature type: wkbPolygon with 2 dimensions
>>> +proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs
>>> Number of fields: 3
>>>      name type length typeName
>>> 1      NAME    4     40   String