[R-sig-Geo] Problem reading files through rgdal

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:27:49 CET 2011

Well, after googling quite a bit, could not really find the exact
syntax for the
configure.args in this case, probably because of my inexperience on
these issues.

But, in parallel, another solution has been suggested by Julien Malik
(see http://orfeo-toolbox.org/otb/) as he had had this problem few weeks ago
and actually made a correctly build libgdal for otb.

The solution is:
1. Make sure you have the otb repo in your list:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/otb/orfeotoolbox-stable-ubuntugis/ubuntu
(in my case, lucid)
2. Run
sudo aptitude install libgdal1-1.8.0=1.8.0-2~lucid2+otb2
libgdal1-dev=1.8.0-2~lucid2+otb2
3. remove and install rgdal from cran

Now I have libgdal1-1.8.0 flagged as upgradeable in Synaptic, but will
not do it until the
package is fixed there.

Thanks a lot Julien!