[R-sig-Geo] Species distribution ranges using cells/grids

Mihai Valcu valcu at orn.mpg.de
Sun Dec 11 13:00:19 CET 2011

You could probably use rangeMapper. There are a few examples posted
here: http://rangemapper.r-forge.r-project.org/index.html
See e.g. http://rangemapper.r-forge.r-project.org/01__Species_Richness.html
best regards
Mihai
*
*
On 12/11/2011 7:50 AM, Barnabas Daru wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I write to ask whether it is possible to show using R, species distribution
> ranges for some plant species occurring in South Africa.
>
> Firstly, I would like to divide the country which they occur into grids or
> cells say of 1km square each.
>
> Then assign a name or number to each grid/cell and using presence/absence
> (1 or 0), code the distribution of each species.
>
> The idea is to eventually plot the map to show the diversity or
> concentration of the species in relation to the country.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Barnabas Daru

| Mihai Valcu                                   |
| Max Planck Institute for Ornithology          |
| Behavioural Ecology and Evolutionary Genetics |
| Eberhard-Gwinner-Straße 7                     |
| D-82319 Starnberg (Seewiesen)                 |
| Phone: +49 (0)8157-932-343                    |
| Fax:   +49-(0)8157-932-400                    |
| http://orn.mpg.de/mitarbeiter/valcu.html      |