[R-sig-Geo] kriging with external drift problems

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri Dec 9 13:33:02 CET 2011

Dear Els, I believe there is no cure for too little data.

Instead of looking at directional variograms, I would look at variograms
of regression residuals. Instead of a max distance value, I would set a
maximum neighbourhood size expressed as the max number of nearest values.

Whether 43 observations can be sufficient to indicate strong
non-stationarity, is questionable; cross validation might give you some
information about how helpful it is to work in local neighbourhoods, but
again, it only has 43 observation to do this.

As usual, when going from a global to a local model you expect a
decrease in bias, and an increase in variability.