[R-sig-Geo] Local singularity

José Matos jose.matos at epfl.ch
Wed Dec 7 21:29:52 CET 2011

Dear All,

I'm testing different interpolation settings and methods for a rainfall
field. From the complete field I take some points, perform the
interpolation and then compute the errors. The variogram was computed
for the original data.
While trying local neighborhoods, I got some unexpected results and am
fairly confident that I'm doing something wrong, although I not sure
about what it is.

It is as if outside the predetermined radius, gstat is computing the
estimate gathering points up to the predefined minimum but without the
closest point.

One of the command sets I used (made to enhance this effect) was the
following:
data(TRMM): 'dataKrig', x=1, y=2, v=3, radius=2, min=4, max=4, force;
predictions(TRMM): 'predKrig';
mask: 'maskKrig.asc';
variogram(TRMM):   0.00000401 Nug(0) + 1232.26185112 Pow(0.54167,0,1);

A more elaborate description and all the files used to run gstat can be
found at:
https://documents.epfl.ch/users/g/ga/gamito/www/gstat/gstatHelp.zip

All help on this issue is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
José Matos