[R-sig-Geo] Import raster from ArcGIS - mismatch between original GRID and raster in R

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:01:45 CET 2011

On 07/12/11 00:48, Jenn.B wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm an advanced ArcGIS user, but new to doing all things spatial in
> R (I typically only use R for graphing and regressions). That
> said:
>
> I've written some code to calculate shortest paths between nest
> sites and foraging locations, following water only (water coded as
> 1, all other cells = 0) The loop works fine; however, my problem is
> in the initial import of the GRID into R using raster().
>
> In running my loop, I received the error:
>
> "In get.shortest.paths(adjacencyGraph, indexOrigin, indexGoal) : At
> structural_properties.c:4277 :Couldn't reach some vertices"
>
> for one of my nests, which I understand to mean that the particular
> nest and foraging location that the loop is currently processing
> are not connected. However, they ARE connected in my ArcGIS GRID
> (i.e., they both lie on water cells with no gaps between them).
> After a little investigating I noticed that the GRID gets resampled
> when imported into R, such that my location, which is near land,
> now falls on land (and thus not on a value cell).  How can I avoid
> this? Is there some argument I can apply to "snap" the raster to
> the original GRID? This is a serious problem, as I imagine I'll
> encounter the same issue for other nests and foraging locations
> that the loop has yet to process.

Where does the "resampling" occur, because as far as I am aware, an
import does not do any resampling.

I would suggest to track down where in your code this occurs.

Just to be save: what about projections - are they the same?

Also: try something like qgis or GRASS to visualize your data and see
if they are as you expect them to be.

Also: can you provide a subset of your data (the site which is on land
but should be on water, and the underlying clipped raster map) so that
the example is reproducible?

Cheers,

Rainer

> The code for one nest and location looks like:
>
> library(gdistance) library(maptools)
>
> # Import raster layer - ocean + freshwater = 1, land = NoData
> r.CS<- raster ("C:/myfile")
>
> # Create transition layer
>
> t.CS<- transition(r.CS, transitionFunction=mean, directions=16)
> tc.CS<- geoCorrection(t.CS)
>
> # Import nest and forage locations
>
> setwd("C:/ForR") nest1<-read.csv("nest1.csv")
> radio1<-read.csv("radio1.csv")
>
> # Extract X and Y nestXY<- cbind(nest1$X, nest1$Y)
> radioXY<-cbind(radio1$X, radio1$Y)
>
> # Create Spatial Points objects - for radio, just do first location
> for testing... SpRadio<-SpatialPoints(radioXY) SpRadio
>
> SpNest<-SpatialPoints(nestXY)
>
> #Calculate the shortest path sPathL<-shortestPath(tc.CS, SpNest,
> SpRadio, output="SpatialLines")
> distance<-SpatialLinesLengths(sPathL, longlat=FALSE)
>
> Apologies if any of this is unclear. If you're interested in the
> loop, I can post that as well - it basically just involves a bunch
> of subsetting and writing outputs for different nests to different
> files.
>
> Cheers, Jenn

> http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/Import-raster-from-ArcGIS-mismatch-between-original-GRID-and-raster-in-R-tp7068880p7068880.html

- --