[R-sig-Geo] Reading a WMS layer as a sp object

Pierre Roudier pierre.roudier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:56:52 CEST 2011

Hi list,

Recently I had a lot of fun with the gmap() function in Robert's dismo
package. It is retrieving a Google Map layer (roadmap, satellite, or
terrain) that can be used as a background for plotting other sp
objects. The extent of the downloaded layer is given by a name
(geocode) or a Spatial* object. If you haven't tried it, you should -
it is fun and easy to use!

Following that nice experience, I was wondering if anybody has been
working on a similar process, but for a WMS layer (instead of using
Google's data... with the associated constraints). I got some
home-built WMS layers that would be more appropriate for use as a
background in my plots.

Cheers,

Pierre

--