[R-sig-Geo] spacetime : adding a fourth (spectral) dimension

scizmeli sa.cizmeli at usherbrooke.ca
Tue Apr 26 19:15:48 CEST 2011

I have recently been introduced to the promising package called spacetime
which helps solve some of the data management problems we regularly
encounter with time-series of spatial data. I would like to congratulate the
developers of this wonderful package.

My question : Is there a way to incorporate in a spacetime object additional
dimensions? For example, in remote sensing, we regularly deal with time
series of spectral imagery. I can easily think of a 5-D model output
(timeseries of a 3-d model of a spectral parameter). In such a case, it
would also be useful to be able to specify auxiliary data for each band i.e.
wavelength information and its units (412 nm, 515 nm etc). It would of
course be better if these auxiliary data can be defined in a custom-manner.

If this is not possible for now, can it be considered in the near future?
Spatial data nowadays can easily have more than 3 dimensions and it would be
very useful seeing this addressed by the spacetime package.

Servet