[R-sig-Geo] Fwd: [CrisisMappers] GIS analysis of the sizes of population living near each of the world's nuclear power plants

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at borasky-research.net
Fri Apr 22 20:05:01 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: DB <declan.m.butler at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM
Subject: [CrisisMappers] GIS analysis of the sizes of population
living near each of the world's nuclear power plants
To: CrisisMappers <crisismappers at googlegroups.com>

Hi
Fyi; I've just published an analysis I did with the NASA Socioeconomic
Data and Applications Center operated by Columbia University’s Center
for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), looking
at how many people live within certain distances of each of all the
world's nuclear power plants.
It shows, for example, that two-thirds of the world’s power plants
have more people living within a 30-kilometre radius than the 172,000
people living within 30 kilometres of the Fukushima Daiichi plante.
Some 21 plants have populations larger than 1 million within that
radius, and six have populations larger than 3 million. One hundred
and fifty-two nuclear power plants have more than 1 million people
living within 75 kilometres.

I've published the full results in the form of a Google Earth map here
-- http://www.declanbutler.info/nucpop/nucpop.kmz  (this was a quick
map; I'll add a scale etc soon).

My article in Nature on this is here;
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110421/full/472400a.html
When I get a moment, I'll publish the full dataset that we created.
Others have published similar analyses and maps for the US, and Die
Zeit did one for Germany, but as far as I know this is the first
published for populations near every nuclear power plant worldwide.
Best
Declan

http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul Erdős