[R-sig-Geo] question about putting KML files on Google My Maps

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 22 16:33:25 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Hodgess, Erin <HodgessE at uhd.edu> wrote:
> Dear R Sig Geo People:
>
> I have generated the attached KML file via R.  It works great in Google
> Earth.
>
> But when I put it into Google My Maps and then try to look at it, the
> placemarks are there, but the info in the ballons has vanished.
>
> Has anyone had a problem like this, please?

 I suspect the KML for My Maps doesn't support the ExtendedData block
that is in your original KML....

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kmlelementsinmaps.html

says "untyped <Data> only, no <SimpleData> or <Schema>, and entity
replacements of the form $[dataName] are unsupported. "

Your KML uses ExtendedData with SimpleData from a Schema. I'm not sure
how you'd replace this with simple untyped <Data>, or how this would
look on My Maps....

Barry