[R-sig-Geo] Colouring maps so that adjacent polygons differ in colour

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Apr 6 09:38:58 CEST 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>
>> topocolours (I wrote that!) uses the same greedy algorithm once its
>> worked out the connectivity. I did make topocolours have the
>> flexibility to choose other algorithms but only implemented the greedy
>> one. The problem with real world maps is that some features have more
>> than one polygon (islands) and if you want them all coloured the same
>> you might not be able to do a 4-colour colouring!
>
> Indeed. With multi-polygons you might really have a *non-planar* graph, for
> which the four colour theorem doesn’t apply. (But for polygons that are
> ‘real’ islands, i.e., have no neighbouring polygons, this will never be a
> problem.)
>
>> I also used ColorBrewer colours!
>
> I love ColorBrewer, and wish ‘Set1’ it was the default palette for R … :-)
>
>> It might be worth taking out the construction of the adjacency list
>> to another function, since I found recently that poly2nb gave very
>> different adjacencies to functions in rgeos.
>
> That’s very surprising, and seems to imply a bug in at least one of the
> functions. Do you have a publically available example showing this?

I've asked Barry off-list about this, there was a case a little while ago
with unexpected results because of inserted sliver polygons causing
apparently separate observations to be neighbours (the slivers were only
visible when zooming right in). There are also differences in the way
software may handle precision (snapping). More will follow ...

> The ‘poly2nb’ does have a somewhat strange behaviour with polygons with no
> members, BTW. Instead of the corresponding neighbours vector being empty, it
> has one element, namely 0. This means that the length of the neighbour
> vector doesn’t necessarily correspond to the number of neighbours. It’s not
> documented, and can at least be seen as a misfeature.

This is a feature of nb objects - card(nb) returns the number of
neighbours, and should always be used. This is documented in ASDAR (p.
240), and at length in Bivand & Portnov (2004). I'll add to the
documentation in the package. If you use card(), you get the outcomes you
expect.

Hope this helps,

Roger