[R-sig-Geo] Question on lags in h-Scattergrams

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 1 22:22:39 CEST 2011

   My question is not R specific, but about h-scattergrams as described in
Pierre Goovaerts's "Geostatistics for Natural Resource Evaluation." No
matter how many times I read these sections I still cannot grok the
relationship between delta-h (which he sets at 100m in the discussions
beginning in Section 2.3.2 on page 25) and the examples in following
sections.

   For example, on page 27, Figure 2.8 shows Cd concentrations at 6 classes
of distances, 'h' with distance tolerance 100m (the delta-h). Where does the
100m distance show up in the plots with h=43m through h=1024m? This is what
confuses me.

   Learning spatial statistics on my own (all my stat classes in grad school
were biometry focused) leaves me lacking a local resource to ask.

TIA,

Rich