[R-sig-Geo] Step characteristics on raster maps

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Thu Sep 30 14:46:22 CEST 2010

Dear list members,

I'm trying to compute characteristics along steps (i.e. segments between
two points), based on underlying raster maps. The steps originally come
from radiotracking data, converted to ltraj objects (adehabitat). The
idea is to compute (for example) the habitat composition corresponding
to each step instead of each points, as we are interesting in the
movement path.

I tried different solutions, as I would like to do it with R. I did not
find any solution using adehabitat (or the development versions
adehabitatMA/LS); 'join' only works for point characteristics, not
steps. I also tried using sp and SpatialLinesDataFrame, but overlay does
not seem to work with SpatialLines(DataFrame) and SpatialPixelsDataFrame:

Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
   unable to find an inherited method for function "overlay", for
signature "SpatialPixelsDataFrame", "SpatialLinesDataFrame"

I also investigated packages raster, trip, and rgeos, without success.
Maybe the low level functions of rgeos could be used, but it seems a bit
out of my skills (and time available) at the moment.

Another solution might be to use spgrass6 in conjunction with GRASS, but
I'm not familiar enough with GRASS to judge if it is a viable alternative...

I'd welcome any hints/thoughts on this question.
Sincerely,
Mathieu Basille.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.