[R-sig-Geo] Open source GIS and R

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 21 18:06:10 CEST 2010

There is a book written by several of the projects leads, one of which
is a university professor who teaches GRASS.
http://www.grassbook.org/

Best advice, learn GIS concepts using Arc or QGIS or something similar
and then jump into GRASS, R, Spatial Databases.

FYI, QGIS has a GRASS plugin which makes it easier to start using GRASS
for the first time.

Enjoy,
Alex