[R-sig-Geo] Open source GIS and R

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 13:58:03 CEST 2010

I use GRASS and R on a more or less daily basis.  They play nicely
together.  The great strength of GRASS is you have the ability to use
shell scripts (with all the wonders of the *nix environment) once you
figure out the proper work flow (you can also run commands from within
R although I haven't tried this).  Set the computer to work, and go
home and have a beer while you are getting work done.   FYI the GRASS
team has just released the new stable version 6.4.1 (I think).
HTH,

Stephen
2010/9/17 José Miguel Barrios <jmbarriosg at gmail.com>:
> Manuel,
>
> Since you are interested in landscape ecology, you may want to take a look
> at the features present in r.le, a set of programs available in GRASS.  Take
> a look at this document:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/landscape/r_le_manual5.pdf
>
> Cheers,
>
> José Miguel
>
> 2010/9/17 Manuel Spínola <mspinola10 at gmail.com>
>
>>  Dear list members,
>>
>> I am an ecologist interested in spatial and landscape ecology and a user of
>> ArcView 3.3 with little experience in ArcGis but I would like to migrate to
>> an open source GIS with an interface with R.
>> I know that there are several options: QGIS, SAGA, GRASS, Illwis.
>>
>> What will be the best option of these or other alternatives?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Manuel
>>
>> --
>> Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.
>> Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre
>> Universidad Nacional
>> Apartado 1350-3000
>> Heredia
>> COSTA RICA
>> mspinola at una.ac.cr
>> mspinola10 at gmail.com
>> Teléfono: (506) 2277-3598
>> Fax: (506) 2237-7036

Stephen Sefick
____________________________________
| Auburn University                                   |
| Department of Biological Sciences           |
| 331 Funchess Hall                                  |
| Auburn, Alabama                                   |
| 36849                                                    |
|___________________________________|
| sas0025 at auburn.edu                             |
| http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025             |

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal science."

                              -Robert Gentleman