[R-sig-Geo] spatial projections

James Stegen stegen at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 15 22:47:39 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have lat-long coordinates for a bunch of localities spread across
multiple hemispheres, which also extend into high latitudes.
What I would like to do is re-project the lat long coordinates into a
projection that gives me spatial positions in km from some arbitrary point.
The key is that I would like the distances among communities to be
maintained. Specifically, if I calculate a distance matrix using lat
longs in the
great circle equation, I would like a distance matrix calculated from
the reprojected positions to give the same distances.
I haven't found a projection that can do this. Using the orthographic
projection, for example, leads to larger distances among sites that
occur at high latitudes,
relative to the distances provided by the great circle equation. I also
need to know actual spatial positions in both axes, not just overall
distance, relative to
an arbitrary point on earth.

Many Thanks,
James Stegen

--
James C. Stegen
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow in Bioinformatics
stegen at email.unc.edu