[R-sig-Geo] mass importing rasters

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 12 23:22:03 CEST 2010

  Martin,

Depending on what you are doing, you may want to consider the use of
GRASS GIS (http://grass.osgeo.org/) in combination with R. This has been
a successful strategy for me in the past, not using Geotiffs, however.
The advantage is that the Geotiffs can be imported into GRASS GIS format
in batch form and then using r.mapcalc within GRASS, nearly any map
algebra calculations are possible without running into memory issues
that you may encounter with R alone.

Regards,
Tom