[R-sig-Geo] Revolution R Enterprise - solution to handling large (spatial) data?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Sep 10 15:44:29 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Tomislav Hengl
<hengl at spatial-analyst.net> wrote:

> (Maybe this is not really suited for the R-sig-geo, but since we often
> experience problems with loading and visualizing large data)
>
> Has anyone yet used the Revolution R Entrerprise Version of R? Apparently it
> fixes/reduces the problem of large data and has an excellent GUI.

 I'm not sure their definition of 'Wide Platform Support' corresponds to mine:

Wide Platform Support: Available for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Red
Hat Enterprise Linux

So no use to my Mac, and problematic on Ubuntu Linux? What about my
HPC cluster of Solaris boxes? I don't know, haven't tried. Of course,
if I had the source I could compile it myself on any platform - or at
least try to - and contribute my solutions back to the community.

Barry