[R-sig-Geo] elegant way to processing several loops in the same time

bart bart at njn.nl
Thu Sep 2 16:43:36 CEST 2010

Hi Gianni

Depending on the computer your using it can make sense do do things in
parallel. If you have a single core chip it is not very useful to run
multiple tasks at the same time, for multi core chips it is.

There are a lot of possible ways to do that see:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

I myself run sge (sun grid engine) on my own computer (ubuntu) and use
the Rsge package to interface with it. This is mainly useful for me
since it allows easy scaling up to cluster computers using sge. If your
not planing that sge is maybe not the most sensible option.

There is also a r-sig-hpc list that deals with high performance issues
maybe it is worth going through the archive.

Bart