[R-sig-Geo] gstat: choice of inverse distance power in idw() function

Jon Olav Skoien jon.skoien at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Sep 1 14:39:55 CEST 2010

I agree with Paul that kriging might be a better option, but if you want
to use IDW, the intamap package includes a function for optimizing the
power based on cross-validation. In the example for the function
interpolate, replace the penultimate line with:
 x = interpolate(meuse, meuse.grid, list(mean=TRUE), methodName = "idw")
to see how it works.
Tweaking the power to get a smooth surface is not necessarily the best
choice, unless you know how smooth the surface should be.

Cheers,
Jon