[R-sig-Geo] corSpatial and zero distance

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Sun Oct 31 11:33:47 CET 2010

lme fits using (restricted) maximum likelihood, and that requires a
covariance/correlation matrix that is non-singular, to be inverted each
iteration.

Under spatial correlation models, even the pure nugget model,
observations with identical location are perfectly correlated (as in:
the correlation of X with itself), and so result in duplicate rows/cols,
making the covariance/correlation matrix singular.

--
Edzer Pebesma
http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      e.pebesma at wwu.de