[R-sig-Geo] eculidean threshold for clustering

jgarcia at ija.csic.es jgarcia at ija.csic.es
Tue Oct 26 13:04:47 CEST 2010

Dear all,
I am wondering if there is a direct function (I cannot find any) in R, to
obtain, a "factor" vector to identify which points could be grouped in a
set, using a specific threshold distance as clustering criterion.

#e.g, with 7 points with coordinates:

x <- c(1.01,0.95,1.05,1.03,3.03,2.99,3.04)
y <- c(3.01,3.02,3.04,5.23,2.01,2.02,1.98)

# and, let's say, distance threshold 0.5, the answer would be:
(1,1,1,2,3,3,3)

# where the threshold is the maximum distance between any two points for
each cluster

A better approach would be that threshold could be specified as the
distance between any point in each cluster, and its corresponding center
of mass for that cluster, but I guess this would require some loops. Isn't
it? S, I would be happy enough with the abovementioned approach.

If there isn't a direct function, don't worry. I'll try to find a solution
computing distances...

Thanks,
Javier
---