[R-sig-Geo] Calculating areas from point data?

Turner Rolf r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 25 01:54:18 CEST 2010

From: r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch [r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Alexander Shenkin [ashenkin at ufl.edu]
Sent: Monday, 25 October 2010 12:44 p.m.
To: r-sig-geo at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] Calculating areas from point data?

Hello All,

I laid out polygons based on a transect tape, and perpendicular
distances from that tape.  So, for example, one polygon could be 48m
long, at 10m, one point lies 5m to the right, at 15m another point lies
8m to the left, etc.  Connecting those points creates the polygon.

I am interested in calculating the area of those polygons.  I'm not sure
if R has a package that makes such calculations, or if I'd be better off
using something else - I'm really not sure where to turn to do this.

The spatstat package has such facilities.

       cheers,

             Rolf Turner