[R-sig-Geo] Why I can't install RGDAL after R 2.12.0 release?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Oct 24 21:34:58 CEST 2010

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Daniel wrote:

> Why I can't install RGDAL after R 2.12.0 release?
> I install again GDAL, but I still got the error.

Well, you could start by reading the explanatory message. In addition, you
have an OSX system (saying so would make things simpler). Beyond that, you
have not been using a local library in which to install your packages (I
think) so that when R is upgraded, the old system library is no longer
visible. This is a very good reason to use a local library - upgrading R
does not then remove your installed contributed libraries.

The message says that gdal-config cannot be found. Find it, and add its
path to the configure argument.

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS. On OSX, if installing the rgdal source package is impractical,
consider installing binary packages either using Kyngchaos:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks

for R 2.10 or 2.11 (not 2.12 yet), or (with fewer drivers) in R say:

setRepositories(ind=1:2)
install.packages("rgdal")

from CRAN extras for leopard+.

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no