[R-sig-Geo] CRS: list of datum?

Tom Gottfried tom.gottfried at wzw.tum.de
Mon Oct 11 17:35:49 CEST 2010

I'm really not an expert, but I know that in GRASS exist four different sets of +towgs84 parameters
for the potsdam datum (due to regional differences that seem to go back to inaccuracies in the
original land survey by Karl Friedrich Gauß in Germany). If one of these is specified, it is not
necessary to specify +datum=potsdam, as all of the information seems to be in +towgs84. So if you
have the +towgs84 parameter set for the datum you need, I would think you can just specify that.
What you can read here seems to approve this:

http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/GenParms#towgs84-DatumtransformationtoWGS84

Tom

email: tom.gottfried at wzw.tum.de
http://www.wzw.tum.de/gruenland