[R-sig-Geo] World map in magnetic coordinates

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 18:05:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM, ogbos okike <ogbos.okike at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I am interested in organizing my data in magnetic coordinates. I
> have converted my data points from geographic coordinates to magnetic
> coordinates.

> My problem now is to generate world map in magnetic coordinates.
> Can anybody please give me a hint on how to go about this.

 Possibly the same way that you converted your data points from
geographic to magnetic coordinates? How did you do that?

 The usual way of converting from coordinate systems is to use
spTransform and specify the coords via EPSG coordinate codes - does
your magnetic coordinate system have an EPSG code? I suspect that with
the magnetic poles wandering about it will change quite frequently. Is
this the case?

Barry