[R-sig-Geo] nugget in variogram

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Oct 4 11:55:19 CEST 2010

Because you do not pass an (initial) nugget value to function vgm(), you
are fitting an exponential model without a nugget. Without a nugget
model, the nugget is (implicitly) zero. Compare:

> vgm(1, "Exp", 300)
  model psill range
1   Exp     1   300
> vgm(1, "Exp", 300, 1)
  model psill range
1   Nug     1     0
2   Exp     1   300

You are also wrong if you think that you now fix (as of: not fit)
parameters in the fit.variogram step; for this you have to pass
parameters fit.ranges and/or fit.sills; e.g. to fit the nugget but fix
the partial sill, pass fit.sills = c(TRUE,FALSE), to fix the nugget but
fit the partial sill, pass fit.sill=c(FALSE, TRUE).