[R-sig-Geo] How to calculate squared R of spatial autoregressive models

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Nov 22 14:19:33 CET 2010

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, elaine kuo wrote:

> Dear List,
>

> I am comparing the squared R values of linear models and its spatial
> autoregressive counterparts. (SARerror)
>
> (1. lm (Y~X1)
>
> 2. lm (Y~ X1+X2)
>
> 3. lm(Y~X1+X2+X3))
>

> The squared R values of linear models are generated by command summary
> (lm).
>

> Similarly, I tried to produce those of spatial autoregressive models
> based on the squared Pearson?s correlation of explanatory and response
> variables. It failed

Don't. There is no direct equivalent to the OLS R-squared, these models
are fitted by maximum likelihood. You may choose to compare
likelihood-based measures, so a likelihood ratio test (as reported in the
output of the summary method for the fitted model) between the fitted
model and an OLS model with the spatial coefficient fixed at zero is OK.
If you want something like an R-squared, try the Nagelkerke R-bar-squared,
based on the likelihood, reported optionally in the summary object - see
?summary.sarlm. You should then compare this with a Nagelkerke value for
your OLS model if you feel that this would be helpful.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no