[R-sig-Geo] boundaries for variogram

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Thu Nov 18 21:04:58 CET 2010

On 11/16/2010 05:40 PM, Mark Connolly wrote:
> I noticed that autofitVariogram sets boundaries for the call to
> gstat::variogram along the lines of (0.35 * diag(bbox(sp)) /100) *
> c(2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 25, 35, 50, 65, 80, 100).  Any idea of the basis
> of this method?
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Those values are quite a pragmatic choice, as I (and my co-authors)
write in my paper[1]:

Any of the assumptions made may leave room for improvement of the
procedures. As a first start, and for the purpose of automated mapping
of natural ambient dose rates, they seemed appropriate.

But I'm open to a discussion on improving, do you have any concrete
ideas right now?

Paul
package maintainer of automap

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2008.10.011