[R-sig-Geo] spatial point pattern with correlation structure

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 9 20:48:36 CET 2010

On 10/11/2010, at 7:21 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I was wondering if there is an easy way to generate coordinates of clustered
>> spatial point pattern.(possibly with variations on the degree of
>> aggregation).
>>
>> So far one can easily generate random patterns (splancs: csr; sp: spsample)
>> or regular (sp: spsample or some simple lines of programme), but I cannot
>> find out if there is some existing function in R capable of generating some
>> points clustering...
>
> In splancs, the pcp.sim() function is one possibility. However, there are
> many more in spatstat, with rpoispp() as a very interesting possibility to
> use an image to introduce inhomogeneity into the pattern.
>
> Hope this helps,

There are quite a few tools for generating clustered point patterns in spatstat,
including rMatClust, rThomas, and rNeymanScott.  The spatstat package is referred
to under "Point pattern analysis" in the CRAN "Task View: Analysis of Spatial Data",
so I'm surprised that M. Giraudoux overlooked it.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner