[R-sig-Geo] Defining Holes Inside a Polygon

Rodrigo Aluizio r.aluizio at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 10:15:32 CET 2010

Hi List.

I’m trying to solve an issue here, but it’s getting tricky.

I have an MapGen .dat file (attached) that contains about 39 closed lines.
Three of them (the largest ones) will be my main polygons and the rest of
them must become holes inside one of the three major areas. I’m able to
transform all the closed lines into SpatialPolygons and even create
shapefiles with them, but how can I modify the “hole” slot of the smaller
polygons so I can keep them transparent when overlaying another map (those
holes will overlay islands of a raster image)?

Thank you for the attention and help.

Regards.

MSc.  <mailto:r.aluizio at gmail.com> Rodrigo Aluizio

Centro de Estudos do Mar/UFPR
Laboratório de Foraminíferos e Micropaleontologia Ambiental
Avenida Beira Mar s/n - CEP 83255-971
Pontal do Paraná - PR - Brazil