[R-sig-Geo] rgdal, multiband CCITT compression

Oliver Soong osoong+r at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 00:05:11 CET 2010

Hello,

I can't seem to write a multi-band 1-bit CCITT-compressed GeoTIFF
(using any of the CCITT compression methods).  The file writes, but
when reloaded the data are wrong (I can't tell for sure whether this
is a read or write problem).  I can write a 1-band 1-bit
CCITT-compressed GeoTIFF fine, and I can write a multi-band 1-bit
deflate-compressed GeoTIFF fine.  This is on Windows XP x86, R 2.12.0,
rgdal 0.6-28, sp 0.9-72, GDAL 1.7.1, PROJ.4 4.7.1.

On a similar note, only GDAL seems to be able to handle any multi-band
1-bit GeoTIFFs it produces.  ArcGIS 10 explicitly states (somewhere
deep in their documentation) that multi-band 1-bit TIFFs are not
supported.  Even without compression, ENVI throws an error about an
array with a corrupted descriptor, then crashes out.

Is this a bug, or a limitation of TIFF, CCITT, or GDAL that I'm not aware of?

Thoughts are appreciated,
Oliver

--
Oliver Soong
Donald Bren School of Environmental Science & Management