[R-sig-Geo] existance of a specific non-overlapping marked spatial model in spatstat or other R package?

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Fri May 28 17:51:16 CEST 2010

Hi,
I don't think the code exists, but I think that there are modifications
of the
algorithm Rolf described that may be much faster. I assume the
predetermined
set of marks is a set of distinct classes with different radii.
One thing that comes to mind is you may want to generate the marks first
and
then assign locations. So if you allocate the largest radii first, you
may be able to
sequentially eliminate whole regions of the space where the next disk
could be allocated
using a quad tree, and there by do fewer rejections of locations. There
may be some
divide and conquer type strategies that work as well.

Thinking about this more, it seems like the most time consuming step
would be the
acceptance/rejection of new locations because of the search for adjacent
intersecting discs.
So as the plane fills up there will be more and more rejections, and the
search time will increase.
In fact for a finite area, there will be an upper bound on the number of
points depending on
the distribution of marks. Which suggest that one would want to first
generate the marks, and check that the
sum of the disks is less than the total area of your region.

So as I am musing here, and probably getting less and less helpful, I am
thinking that
using the delaunay triangulation or the nearest neighbor graph might
help speed up the search.
I am also wondering if one could condition on the existing points more
efficiently, may
be using some sort of metropolis hastings type algorithm to ensure that
the next draw
is closer to the restricted space available. I am even guessing there
may be some percolation
model that would approximate this process and be faster to generate.

Ok used up my 2c. Hope this helps

Nicholas