[R-sig-Geo] reading KML files in R

Wade Wall wade.wall at gmail.com
Thu May 27 19:15:48 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience reading and writing KML files in R?  I
have seen several threads that seem to suggest that it is difficult if
not impossible, but it is convenient to use KML files when working
with Google Earth and inconvenient to read and write shapefiles and
then convert to KML using other software.

If anyone is able to read and write KML files, if they could provide a
description of how to do it, I am sure a lot of people would
appreciate it.  I have tried to do so under both Windows and Linux to
no avail.  The Windows approach looks more difficult, judging by the
readme file associated with rgdal.

Thanks,

Wade