[R-sig-Geo] rgdal on MAC

Daniel dmsilv at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:07:22 CEST 2010

Yeah, Roger. That was amazing, works like a charm.
I almost believe that I couldn't open my counties shape on R. Thanks
for prompt help.

brasil <- readOGR("/Users/daniel/bases/maps/Brasil/55mu2500gsr.shp",
"55mu2500gsr", input_field_name_encoding="iso-8859-1")
OGR data source with driver: ESRI Shapefile
Source: "/Users/daniel/bases/maps/Brasil/55mu2500gsr.shp", layer: "55mu2500gsr"
with 5566 features and 9 fields
Feature type: wkbPolygon with 2 dimensions

> for(i in 1:length(names(brasil))) {
+   if (class(brasil[[i]]) == "factor") {
+     brasil[[i]] <- factor(iconv(brasil[[i]], from="latin1", to="utf-8"))
+   }
+ }
> plot(brasil)

Daniel