[R-sig-Geo] rgdal on MAC

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 19 10:16:45 CEST 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, steven mosher wrote:

> On Cran it indicates that the package is not available on MAC (OSX 10.5.8)
> Is that the whole story?
> Is it a situation that will change or am I missing something. I've left a
> similar Q on the Mac Sig, but havent  got any feedback

It is always possible to use the instructions on the CRAN page under
SystemRequirements: - that is install the external dependencies, for
example using Kyngchaos' frameworks, and install from source, or from an
OSX binary rgdal package at the same site. This probably gives a larger
set of drivers.

For those who prefer a Leopard-style binary with the same minimal set of
drivers that we have on CRAN for Win32 and Win64: I can with pleasure
thank Brian Ripley for making both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel versions
available on CRAN extras - on OSX use:

> setRepositories(ind=1:2)
> install.packages('rgdal')

Please report back on whether this advice was helpful.

Roger