[R-sig-Geo] Shape in Latin-1

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 19 09:12:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Daniel wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have had a incovenient trouble to read a shapefile that I suspect
> was encoded as "latin-1". Since I'm mac user and mac uses UTF-8, some
> kind of problem could be happen.
> I tryed some comand lines without success:
>
>> brasil <- readShapeSpatial(file.choose(),
> proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat"))
> Error in getinfo.shape(fn) : Error opening SHP file
>
>> brasil <- readShapePoly("/Users/daniel/bases/maps/Brasil/55mu2500gsr.shp", encoding="latin1")
> Error in readShapePoly("/Users/daniel/bases/maps/Brasil/55mu2500gsr.shp",  :
>   unused argument(s) (encoding = "latin1")
>
> Somebody know how can I open it?

Please do read the error messages, and do not jump to conclusions. Always
examine the output of traceback() after an error. In the first case, you
do not show the file name, nor have you tried list.files() to show that
the file is where you think it is (it doesn't seem to be there). In the
second case, as the error message says, there is no encoding= argument to
readShape*() - does it say there is on the help page?

Are you refering to the field names in the DBF, or to the contents of the
fields? Can you read the DBF file itself with read.dbf() in the foreign
package (used in maptools)? So far, you have not established that your
beliefs about the encoding are the problem here.

If the issue is in the field names, have you tried readOGR() in rgdal,
which does have an argument for setting the encoding of field names? If
you feel that rgdal is not available for OSX, I can with pleasure thank
Brian Ripley for making both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel versions available on
CRAN extras - use:

> setRepositories(ind=1:2)
> install.packages('rgdal')

Roger