[R-sig-Geo] Error at reading shape file (readOGR())

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Sun May 16 23:04:49 CEST 2010

Hi!

I'm getting this error at reading a shape file that comes from a third
party:
> AilantMSY09 <-
> readOGR(dsn="/media/TRANSCEND/MONTSENY2008/MONTSENY_GEODATA/FloraExotica2009/AilantMSY09/",layer="AilantMSY09")
OGR data source with driver: ESRI Shapefile
Source:
"/media/TRANSCEND/MONTSENY2008/MONTSENY_GEODATA/FloraExotica2009/AilantMSY09/",
layer: "AilantMSY09"
with 62 features and 29 fields
Error in make.names(fldnms, unique = TRUE) : invalid multibyte string 9

(Using R version 2.11.0, rgdal 0.6-26 and GDAL 1.6.3)

Any guide on how to debug this problem? I've looked at the dbf file and
do not see anything weird. I can display the file using QGIS, but cannot
create a csv file (but QGIS uses OGR also, so this is not really an
alternative).

Thanks for any help
(I can post the file if needed)

Agus