[R-sig-Geo] closeAllConnections() in spgrass6. Side effect?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Mar 28 16:48:39 CEST 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, jgarcia at ija.csic.es wrote:

> Hi Roger and the others,
>
> I've noticed that readRAST6() uses closeAllConnection(), as it is trying
> to close a raw "socket" type connection I had opened for parallel
> processing (snow package).
>
> Isn't this a side effect and perhaps closeAllConnection() should be
> replaced here by any other alternative?
>
> Thanks (also for the package) and best regards,

Javier,

Could you try a change in the package source from sourceforge, check out
the CVS source from:

cvs -z3 \
-d:pserver:anonymous at r-spatial.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/r-spatial co \
-P spgrass6

I've added a flag to permit the call to closeAllConnections() to be
avoided; you would use close_OK=FALSE. For most users it is still needed,
as the number of connections opened in trying to guess what the GDAL GRASS
plugin needs is not well-specified.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no