[R-sig-Geo] Geocode for Bogota

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Fri Mar 12 09:23:56 CET 2010

Thank you for pointing us to the Terms of service (which is obviously very important). I still think that the situation with Google Maps API is not as bad (the speed and quality at which Google is building a digital data is impressive). In my case (http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mapping_research_hot-spots) I use Google Maps API only to grab the coordinates of points and run analysis. I attach my own variables to the points and distribute only the end result of analysis (e.g. http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Fig_geostatworld.jpg). Would this then also be against their terms of service? I do not think so - I use the work somebody did to geocode things, but distribute only end results of my analysis (my own content). I guess it is a sort of trick to go around this problem (e.g. to still use their service and not break any Terms of service).

But you are absolutely right: we should focus our efforts on building/promoting open access data portals such as Open Street Map.

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/