[R-sig-Geo] inverse distance weighting

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Mar 11 20:09:13 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Scott L Minkoff wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am new to analyzing spatial data in R and was having trouble finding an
> answer to my question in the list archives.  I am interested in doing
> spatial regression with an inverse distance matrix.  To do this, I created
> the weights matrix outside of R (in ArcGIS) and then used the mat2listw
> function to convert it to a list that could be used in a spatial regression
> with the spdep package.  I am wondering whether this is an appropriate way
> to do this and, if not, what would be?

No, not appropriate as such, unless your distances are neither Euclidean
nor Great Circle. See the examples on ?nbdists and ?nb2listw, or on the
use og the glist= argument to nb2listw() to move the weights from your
imported object via mat2listw(). When you use mat2listw(), there is no
automatic way of setting the style of the listw object, so although it can
be used for some things, it needs feeding through nb2listw() to tidy
things up.

Roger