[R-sig-Geo] Geocode for Bogota

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Thu Mar 11 09:26:23 CET 2010

Google has an API that allows you to geocode addresses (or anything that spatial coordinates in their database) e.g.:

> readLines(url("http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?q=1600+Amphitheatre+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA
&output=csv&key=abcdefg"), n=1, warn=FALSE)
[1] 200.00000 8.00000 37.42197 -122.08414

See also:

http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mapping_research_hot-spots

They limit, however, the number of geocode requests to 15,000 in a 24 hour period. If the url connection breaks, then it might be a good idea to run the same loop one more time and set add a while command to look for the missing coordinates.

HTH,

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/