[R-sig-Geo] spatial clustering taking account of "value"

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 11:06:49 CET 2010

I may be misinterpreting your desired output, but could you not also
perform LISA on this dataset?
For example if you are interested in:

>> highlight[ing] "clusters" (definition unclear!) where there
>> are a number of points "close together" (definition unclear!) and the
>> sum of all the values in the "cluster" is "high".

Then the Getis and Ord Gi(*) statistic (not *truly* a LISA) would
likely do the trick for you.

> library(spdep)
> ?localG

>From the help:
The local spatial statistic G is calculated for each zone based on the
spatial weights object used. The value returned is a Z-value, and may
be used as a diagnostic tool. High positive values indicate the
posibility of a local cluster of high values of the variable being
analysed, very low relative values a similar cluster of low values.
The spatial weights object can be created using (as you mentioned
above) a distance threshold, or based on relativeneigh() I imagine.

Regards,

Carson