[R-sig-Geo] Public reference dataset

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Mar 3 18:46:15 CET 2010

Hi Christoph,

I have prepared few datasets of interest for testing geostatistical algorithms:

http://spatial-analyst.net/book/data-sets

I personally like the BCI (soil samples) dataset very much (used in the spatstat package also). It has enough points and they are sampled at both short and regular distances (see http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Fig_pH_RK_draped.jpg). Here are some examples:

http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Spatial_interpolation_exercises_(NL)#Spatial_prediction_of_soil_properties_for_the_Barro_Colorado_Island_50_ha_Plot

Additional grids for BCI are available here:

http://spatial-analyst.net/book/BCI_grids

The field data collection and lab analysis has been explained in detail here:

https://ctfs.arnarb.harvard.edu/webatlas/datasets/bci/soilmaps/BCIsoil.html

Then, there are also various datasets used in the geostats books:

Diggle, P.J., Ribeiro Jr, P.J., 2006. Model-based Geostatistics. Springer Series in Statistics, 230 p.
http://www.leg.ufpr.br/mbgbook/

Reimann, C., Filzmoser, P., Garrett, R., Dutter, R., 2008. Statistical Data Analysis Explained Applied Environmental Statistics with R. Wiley, Chichester, 337 p.
http://www.statistik.tuwien.ac.at/StatDA/

HTH,

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/