[R-sig-Geo] rgdal and grass rasters

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 2 02:44:17 CET 2010

spgrass6 is a an R package and has read/write access to GRASS datasets.
It's usage would be instead of rgdal(well sorta, rgdal is required by
spgrass6). Both write objects to sp types.
You can use it from within R to start a GRASS session or within GRASS to
start a linked R session.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/spgrass6/index.html

I got GDALinfo to work on my machine, I wonder if your just missing the
gdal-grass library, or libgrass.

On ubuntu it's something like libgdal1-1.6.0-grass
I know qgis needs this to work with GRASS not sure about gdal itself but
based on http://gdal.org/frmt_grass.html probably. Also note that page
talks about the path to a dataset that should be used.

Thanks,
Alex