[R-sig-Geo] mapproject

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:31:16 CEST 2010

I think rgdal package would be the preferable way. There are some old
and outdated map projection packages (I admittedly do not not the
details, and use rgdal exclusively).

library(rgdal)
eugrd025DF.laea <- spTransform(eugrd025DF, CRS(projection(Br)))

spTransform() handles all the details of back and forward transforming
(see inv argument in project) so that valid CRS() projection strings
can be used directly to specify reprojections.

I'm not intimate yet with the raster package so I might have missed
something that's possible in the way the CRS string is derived by
projection, but if proj4string(eugrd025DF) gives the same value as
projection(eugrd025DF) then the spTransform approach should be fine.

Cheers, Mike.