[R-sig-Geo] Reading Multi Polygon Shapefiles

Mario Gellrich mario.gellrich at gmx.ch
Wed Jun 30 11:44:26 CEST 2010

Dear list members

I have a question concerning the import of multipolygon-shapefiles (ESRI notation: PolygonM, type 25). I tried readShapePoly() from the maptools package, the PBSmapping package (which seems to use the same function) and read.shapefile() from the shapefile package. With maptools/PBSmapping I've got the message that this polygon-type cannot (yet) be handled. Is there another way to read such shapefile-types? We also have PostGIS in our office, but I did'nt tried out, whether it works or not. I work with R version 2.10.1 (64 bit) on Mac.

Best regards

Mario