[R-sig-Geo] HDF-EOS Level 2B point model and rgdal/gdal

Mark Connolly mark_connolly at acm.org
Fri Jun 25 19:20:29 CEST 2010

I may not have asked that question very well.  The HDF-EOS Level 2b is
an hdf4 file that contains point data and has a structure that is quite
different from the Level 3 (which I have been able to bring in as a
raster after using HEG to pull a specific object from the file).

If anyone else has the same need, the contents can be pulled out of the
point file using the hdp hdf dumper from the HDF Group
(http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdp.html).

In my case, I wanted a subset of the fields from a specific vdata node
in the hdf structure.  The command line I ended up with was

hdp dumpvd -o AMSR_E_L2_Land_V09_200206190754_A.txt -d -i 1 -f
Latitude,Longitude,Soil_Moisture AMSR_E_L2_Land_V09_200206190754_A.hdf

-o ... = output file name
-d = no headers
-i 1 = the index of the vdata
-f ... = the field names

The produced a file that can be read as a table in R.

http://hdfeos.org/software/tool.php#HEG
is appropriate for Level 3 HDF to GeoTIFF

http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdf-java-html/hdfview/
is good for exploring the file structure of many hdf forms

Maybe this will be useful for someone.

Mark