[R-sig-Geo] variogram parameters

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Tue Jun 22 00:11:57 CEST 2010

Well,

all are very important for a good fit to your empirical semivariogram. Screw up
one, and the curve won't be very close.

Maybe what you are looking for is, how to start developing a good model.

If so, I would say (based largely on experience teaching this):

1. anisotropy first. No point developing a crummy omnidirectional model
2. model form is next (spherical, exponential, etc)
3. nugget
4. sill and range

And iterate 2-4 until it seems ok.

Others surely have their own preferences....

Yours,

Ashton